FAQs - Nova Institute

Nova Institute


FAQs about studying at Nova Institute

We have compiled a list of the most frequently asked questions we get from students about studying at Orange College. If you can’t find the answer you’re looking for, feel free to reach out!

YES, your attendance will be monitored based on your presence in the online sessions as your trainer will be marking your attendance. The attendance will be marked twice during each session and If students are not responsive then they will be marked absent as per the session.


You will be required to submit your assessment to your trainer via Moodle or Google Classroom. Please follow the due date as mentioned on the platform.


Your fees are due on the 10th of every month. Please continue to pay your fees on time.


Can my spouse study in Australia on a Student Dependent Visa?

Adult family members who are here on a Student Dependent Visa are only permitted to study for three months (full or part time), after which they must apply for their own Student Visa and satisfy. Spouses who wish to undertake formal study for longer than three months in Australia need to meet all institutional admission requirements including English language testing, and will have to pay international student tuition fees. For more information on studying in Australia, visit the http://studyinaustralia.gov.au/ website.

What do I do if I feel homesick?

Moving to another country can be challenging and difficult experience. Nova Institute offers broad student support services for students like you. We understand the challenges of coming to a country that has different culture, language and customs, as many of our staff have shared your experience in the past. We also recommend you to visit living in Australia page for information about culture shock and tips to assist you to adjust.

How much money should I take with me to Australia?

Melbourne is a reasonably priced major city with a range of living options. As a guide, you will need a minimum of $20,290* (excluding tuition) per year to cover accommodation, daily living costs, health services and other expenses. The amount of money you bring is a personal choice, but you must ensure you have enough money to cover certain typical expenses, for example:

Share accommodation: $140 – $200 p/w (bond usually: 4 weeks rent (payable as a deposit)

Monthly public transport ticket (Zone 1+2) 30 days: $155

Monthly mobile phone plan: $40

Coffee: $3.50

Lunch: $6 – $10

Local telephone call: 50c

Mobile Broadband: $29 p/m

*All costs are indicative only and in Australian dollars

How many hours can I work while studying?

As an international student you cannot work until you have commenced your course in Australia. Once your course has commenced you are permitted to work a maximum of 40 hours per fortnight when your course is IN SESSION, and unlimited hours when your course is OUT OF SESSION. for more information please visit Department of Home affairs.

What happens if my child is born in Australia?

Be sure to take birth registration documents (Birth Certificate, Birth Registration Form) along with your and your spouse’s passports to the Department of Home Affairs (DHA) to add your child’s details to your travel documents. Failure to do so may create complications should your family plan to leave and return to Australia during the course of your studies. Please note: Regardless of whether or not your child is born in Australia, they will automatically inherit the citizenship of their parents. Also see:

What is required for the safety of babies and children in cars?

Children need different restraints as they grow. The restraint must be the right size for the child, properly adjusted and fastened, and correctly fitted to the vehicle.

It is the law for all children up to the age of 7 to be in a child restraint or booster seat when travelling in a vehicle.

Choosing the right child restraint for your child will depend on their age and size. See Vicroads Guidelines for child restraints, booster seats and seat belt readiness.


There are road rules about the type of restraint a child must use. Depending on their age they may need to travel in a child restraint, a booster seat or an adult seat belt.

The type of restraint may also depend on the child’s size.

There may be times when a child is too heavy or tall for the restraint recommended for their age. In these cases, a child is allowed to use the restraint for children in the next age group.

Choose from the following groups to help you choose the right restraint for your child:

Can I leave my children at home unattended?

Children need to be developmentally ready to assume the responsibility of being left at home alone. Try and seek alternative options (such as formal childcare or a babysitter) before leaving a child alone. Parents are expected to make reasonable decisions about their children’s safety and it is essential that you take into account factors such as the age and maturity of the child, how long you will be absent from the home, the ability of the child to seek help in an emergency and to contact you if needed.

In many cultures, it may be common for children to care for brothers and sisters. While different societies have different customs, in Victoria, there is a legal obligation for parents to make sure that children are properly looked after.